And The Long List is Out!
The James Beard Foundation announced its 2023 Restaurant and Chef Awards Semifinalists. The final nominees will be announced on Wednesday, March 29, and winners will be celebrated at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards Ceremony on Monday, June 5, 2023, at the Lyric Opera of Chicago. The James Beard Awards, considered to be among the nation’s most prestigious honors, recognize exceptional talent in the culinary and food media industries, as well as a demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity, community, sustainability, and a culture where all can thrive. Many in the DC Region made the first cut -
The 2023 Restaurant and Chef Awards Semifinalists are:
· Michael Reginbogin and Jason Berry, KNEAD Hospitality + Design (MI VIDA, Lil’ SUCCOTASH, and GATSBY), Washington, D.C.
· Rob Rubba, Oyster Oyster, Washington, D.C.
· RIS, Washington, D.C.
· Elias Taddesse, Mélange, Washington, D.C.
Best New Restaurant
· Bar Spero, Washington, D.C.
Outstanding Pastry Chef or Baker
· Kareem Queeman, Mr. Bake, Riverdale, MD
· Charleston, Baltimore, MD
Outstanding Wine and Other Beverages Program
· Flight Wine Bar, Washington, D.C.
· Allegory, Washington, D.C.
Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic (DC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA)
· Chris Amendola, foraged., Baltimore, MD
· Steve Chu, Ekiben, Baltimore, MD
· Joy Crump, FOODE, Fredericksburg, VA
· David Deshaies, L'Ardente, Washington, D.C.
· Nik Forsberg, Fet-Fisk, Pittsburgh, PA
· Rahman "Rock" Harper, Queen Mother's Fried Chicken, Arlington, VA
· Andrew Henshaw, Laser Wolf, Philadelphia, PA
· Jesse Ito, Royal ushi, Philadelphia, PA
· Dionicio Jiménez, Cantina La Martina, Philadelphia, PA
· Kate Lasky and Tomasz Skowronski, Apteka, Pittsburgh, PA
· Enrique Limardo, Seven Reasons, Washington, D.C.
· Philip Manganaro, Park Place Café & Restaurant, Merchantville, NJ
· Melissa McGrath, Sweet Amalia Market & Kitchen, Newfield, NJ
· Thanh Nguyen, Gabriella's Vietnam, Philadelphia, PA
· Peter Prime, Bammy's, Washington, D.C.
· Michael Rafidi, Albi, Washington, D.C.
· Ryan Ratino, Bresca, Washington, D.C.
· Omar Rodriguez, Oyamel Cocina Mexicana, Washington, D.C.
· Chutatip “Nok” Suntaranon, Kalaya, Philadelphia, PA
· Kevin Tien, Moon Rabbit, Washington, D.C.
Upcoming Awards Announcements (*Dates may be subject to change):
● February 22, 2023: Restaurant and Chef America’s Classics Awards announced
● March 29, 2023: Restaurant and Chef Award nominees, Leadership Award winners, and honorees for the Achievement Awards (Lifetime and Humanitarian of the Year recipients) announced live in Nashville, TN
● April 26, 2023: Nominees for the James Beard Foundation Media Awards announced live in New York City
The 2023 Awards ceremonies will be held in our proud host city of Chicago on the following dates:
● Media Awards: Saturday, June 3, 2023
● Leadership Awards: Sunday, June 4, 2023
● Restaurant and Chef Awards: Monday, June 5, 2023
In advance of the James Beard Awards, The full list of 2023 Restaurant and Chef Awards Semifinalists can be found below and on the James Beard Foundation website.